good morning friends : }
Since this blog is read mostly by my 20 closest friends & family (basically anyone who is legally supposed to be nice to me), you probably all know that I’m not much of a cook.? Or if you don’t know, it’s because I try not to let that secret out very often.? (The hummos last week?? Trader Joe’s, my friend.)
But in honor of slow cooking month* I’d like to share my favorite recipe with you:
1. Take one egg, preferably a nice wholesome brown egg where the chicken was raised in a happy place.? Cook it.
2. Drive up to Whole Foods and buy a loaf of your favorite bread** and a small bag of coffee.? I highly recommend the Flax Quinoa, or the Prarie Boule.? Both excellent varieties.? Be sure to get them sliced, whichever you choose.? That will be important in step 3.
3. Place in toaster.? Depress button.
4. After about two minutes, check for doneness and remove from toaster.
5. Take butter*** and gently spread on toast.? Allow butter to slowly melt into flaxy prarie goodness.
6. Take freshly ground coffee and place into top of coffee maker.? Be sure to read manufacturer’s directions as to how much/ where to add water.? Do NOT omit this step.? Seriously.
7. “Plate up” your eggs and toast.? ****
8. Check coffee for doneness.? When coffee is perfectly brown, pour into your favorite mug.? Choose one that has a rounded form, and a comfortable handle.? Add cream and turbinado to taste.? Some people prefer their coffee black.? They are usually either construction workers, or businessmen trying to stay awake.? I prefer mine caucasian.? *****
Serve, and enjoy!
possible substitutions: you may substitute eggs for pancakes, just be sure to omit the toast and add 3T of real maple syrup.? You may also add bacon to taste.
* maybe it’s not this month.? But it’s a month.? I think.? Just eat your breakfast already.
** this is the “slow” in “slow cooking”.
*** be sure to use real butter for this step.? That “I Can’t Believe It’s Not” crap?? I can believe it, baby.
**** All real chefs “plate up” their food.
***** Actually if you filled a cup with cream and turbinado and then added the coffee, I’d be perfectly happy.